How do you know if your BGI by Mesa Labs designed and manufactured cyclone particle size fractionator is genuine? There are perils in using a counterfeit cyclone and you must be aware of them.
All BGI cyclones contain ten critical dimensions. All of these critical dimensions are interrelated and must be correct or the performance of the device will not be predictable.
There are several additional issues with using a counterfeit cyclone including:
- The manufacturer of the counterfeit cyclone has no way to stay up to date with ongoing engineering and design innovations.
- The counterfeit cyclone does not have the support of the original design manufacturer.
- When used on air samplers and monitors with regulatory method designations the measurements are not in compliance with governing design and performance criteria.
- Incorrect data collected using counterfeit cyclones will corrupt the data base used to protect public health.
- Knowingly purchasing counterfeit cyclones fails to support scientific innovation since money does not pass back to the original product inventors.
BGI by Mesa Labs owns three cyclone family designs: GK®, SCC®, and VSCC® devices. Any other cyclone device that is named with one of these three identifiers is likely a counterfeit and cannot be expected to provide reliable data. Moving forward, all cyclones will reflect a modification related to Mesa’s acquisition of the BGI products as all units will state “BGI by Mesa Labs.”
The only way to be sure that your cyclone has the correct performance characteristics is by strict adherence to the genuine and proprietary Mesa manufacturing and testing protocols. If there is any question about the genuineness of a particular cyclone please contact us.